Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
22 Leninsky prospect
This is one of eleven buildings included in the Academy of Science of the USSR complex constructed using a new high-speed line method.
House number 22 is part of a housing complex houses the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, which was built on Leninsky Prospekt in 1939-40.
This building is the largest in the complex, and occupies a central place. Eight floors of average volume rise above the pavement. The facade of the house is located on the red line, on the sides of the house are two wings to one floor below the central part of the house. The facade of the building is laconic, the only decoration is the kokoshnik, located in the center. On the headdress can be seen bas-relief depicting a woman and children.
It is also interesting color scheme front of the house.
The first floor of the house number 22, as well as other houses of the complex, is occupied by a shop. Large storefronts make the bulky building more light, and for the cars rushing along the highway a number of houses along the avenue are presented as a single whole.
By 1939, Moscow had a complicated housing situation. The growing capital required new areas. In 1934, the Academy of Sciences of the USSR was transferred to Moscow, and most members of the Academy also moved to the capital.
By 1940, the Academy counted 76 institutions, 11 independent laboratories, 42 science stations. The headcount of the Academy was 3,665 research staff, including 135 academics and 2,157 professors and senior researchers by 1939. All of them, as well as members of their families were in need of housing. This problem was supposed to be solved by the construction of the complex houses on Great Kaluga street.
Reconstruction of the future of Leninsky Prospect began in 1936. Then the old two-story buildings, located on both sides of the Kaluga road, were demolished, the street was expanded, paved, and tram tracks were removed from it. The old narrow paved road became a straight line.
The building was built by a new flow-speed method of architect A.G. Mordvinov, for the introduction of this method, he was awarded the Stalin Prize in 1941.