Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Arena of "Neskuchnoye” manor
History of the estate begins with Theodore Grigorievich Orlov. He purchased two large areas here. The plot was inherited by his eleven years old niece Anna Orlova- Chesmenskaya after the Count's death. In fact, the real owner was Count Alexei Grigoryevich Orlov Chesmensky, Fyodor’s brother, Anne's father.
Major transformations in the estate planning occurred at the same time and were associated with the greatest graph’s passion - horses. Two breeds of horses were withdrawn in his plant: trotter and riding horse, called Orlovskie since.
Before it become famous at racetracks around the world horses showed their abilities at Orlov’s Meadow, which was located where Leninsky Prospekt is today.
Here , along the north -eastern border of the service yard, two-colored stone erected extended Manezh building and adjoining stables . In the arena Orlova arranged carousel - equestrian events and processes that involved his daughter Anna .
Architect Tyurin rebuilds riding stables and squadrons of cavalry under the premises in 1844. And for its intended purpose building used until the Revolution. Orlov’s arena was the biggest riding arena until manez was built under the walls of the Kremlin.
In 1918, all the possessions were nationalized and placed under state protection. All sorts of museums housed here. Mineralogy Museum appeared in this building in 1934, when it was decided to transfer most of the institutions of the Academy of Sciences from Leningrad to Moscow . In order to carry the museum in Moscow took 30 wagons. Number of exhibits employs about 60 thousand 20 thousand + doublet copies. With some difficulty, but the transfer was effected, and in 1936 the Museum of Mineralogy is in Moscow. It also receives visitors in a former Orlovsky arena today.