Не забудьте про мобильное приложение — с ним бродить по городу гораздо интереснее.
The Volyn’s manor was here in the XVI century. By the end of the XVII century the ownership of the house was transferred to princes of Kasimov, whose dynasty became extinct around 1728.
Prince A.G. Dolgoruky, the father of the bride of the unhappy Peter II which never became a royal wife received the property with the stone chambers. Anna Ivanovna exiled Dolgoruky with his family in Berezov.
Saltykovs became the new owners of nearly one hundred years. They built this house, which has survived to our time with a few alterations middle of the XIX century in the middle of the XVIII century.
Alexander D. Chertkov acquired the house with outhouses and the garden in 1831. Thanks to him, this address becomes known to the entire enlightened Russia. Chertkov gathered unique and the largest library of that time devoted to Russian history. Not only books, but also coins, manuscripts, letters, maps, portraits - anything that might relate to the Russian history, was the subject of his collecting. Pushkin, Pogodin, Zhukovsky, Gogol, Tolstoy, and others working in these walls were friends with Chertkov.
Gregory Chertkov, the son of Alexander Dmitrievich continued the work of the father. The first free private library in Russia, the "Moscow City Chertkovsky public library" opened in a fire-proof special annex on the side of the Furkasovsky lane in 1863.
In 1871, G. Chertkov has presented the library as a gift to Muscovites and sold the house to N.A. Gagarina. K.N. Obidina was an owner of the house since 1880.
Moscow Architectural Society housed in the halls of the mansion since the mid -1890s. It was replaced by literary- artistic and literary club - artistic circle, which was visited by the founders of the Moscow Art Theatre.
In 1914, the mansion was sold to G.A. Keppen. He planned to build a five-story apartment house at this place. These plans were interrupted by the war.
After the revolution, the house was abandoned. "Business Club" designed to help new leaders to learn from the old experts opened here in 1922 and this is what saved the house. Central Russian house of knowledge is the new name of the house since 1991.
After the last restoration, the house was crowned with a not quite clear coat of arms, but with a remarkable motto - "Faith and Honor".
Пансион пастора Л.ЭннесаСверчков пер., д. 5, стр. 2
Наиболее известным заведением, которое занимало флигель по Сверчкову переулку, был престижный пансион пастора Л.Эннеса, выходца из Эльзаса. Он работал с 1845 по 1859 год. В числе его выдающихся воспитанников имена врача Сергея Боткина и историка Владимира Герье.