Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Church of the annunciation in Petrovsky park
The park surrounding the Petrovsky Palace used to be much bigger. Much of his heritage has been lost forever, but retains its unique church - a monument to early dead granddaughter from grieving grandmother.
The vast landscape park was established by decree of Catherine II in 1820, after years of Petrovsky Palace at St. Petersburg highway, built in 1775-1782's. It was called the Petrovsky park. The area quickly became popular among Muscovites who came here for a walk. There were open-air theater and a building for concerts, swing, gazebo, pool and other places of entertainment. Also part of the new park’s land has been given for the construction of the Moscow noblemen country cottages. The summer house of Chamberlain’s wife Anne Dmitrievny Naryshkina appeared not far away from the palace. Narishkina suffered a major misfortune here: her granddaughter, the Countess Anna Bulgari died in 1841. For this reason, she requested from the Emperor Nicholas I and Metropolitan Filaret of Moscow to allow her to build a temple on the site of her own garden in memory of her granddaughter, which was granted.
The initial draft of the church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin in the Petrovsky Park belonged to the architect E.D. Tyurin, but was rejected by the authorities: according to him double-belfried church with galleries would be a small copy of the Petrovsky Palace. An alternative was suggested by the architect F.F. Richter - he was implemented in 1844-1847. The prototype of the Annunciation Church served as the ancient Church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist in Dyakovo, is now located in the museum at Kolomenskoye - a type of temples called "Pillar- tiered". The building was created in two tiers: on the square of the lower church raised octagonal upper church, culminating in semi-circular and triangular innovative features with one large helmet-shaped head on the drum. In this case, the upper edge of the church are cut long narrow windows that reach to the floor.
To the west of the church adjacent to the vast porch with two staircases, trimmed in Russian style and complete four-sided tent bell tower.
In the upper temple is located high altar of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, in the bottom there were the chapels: one - in the name of Simeon and Anna the Prophetess, the second - in the name of Venerable Xenophon and Mary. All names were given in honor of the patron saints of the church founder, her deceased granddaughter and other relatives. In 1904, a new extension to the lower church was consecrated auxiliary chapel of Our Lady of Bogoliubsk. In 1916-1917 by artist A.D. Borozdin the walls and vaults of the church were re- painted.
The exact date of the termination of the services in the Annunciation Church is not established, it happened somewhere in the mid-1930s. Petrovsky Park in 1918 became a place of mass shootings, later its territory was significantly reduced: the country houses were demolished, most of the land was transferred for the construction of the Dynamo stadium and other sports facilities with it. Turned into a warehouse, the temple went into the jurisdiction of the Zhukovsky Academy, located in the Petrovsky Travel Palace. The temple lost its completion, the interiors were also seriously affected. Since 1991, worship services have been conducted in the Annunciation Church, the restoration work has restored its former appearance.