Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Small and elegant mansion on the Bolshaya Gruzinskaya street built in 1897 by architect V. Barkov for the family of Vasily Aleksandrovich Gorbunov, the first guild merchant and Catherine, the daughter of the famous Vikula Eliseevich Morozov. Catherine Morozova married Vasily Aleksandrovich Gorbunov, the first guild merchant Director of Kostroma "Partnership of the paper weaving manufactory of brothers G. and A. Gorbunov" in 1890s.
Mansion built asymmetrically. The right side is a two-story building and extended single-storey volume on the left. Two-storey side is bounded by two very fine balconies with beautiful wrought-iron grille crowning triangular pediments decorated with cartouches with monograms owners and ending two flowerpots. Two niches with flowerpots are below the balconies. Three window of the main hall are distinguished with large oval figure. Windows and pilasters of the building are delicately decorated with very beautiful moldings. Monogram of the owner and a year built are preserved on the facade.
Catherine Vikulovna, just like many other members of Morozov’s family, dedicated a lot of attention to works of charity. She was a trustee of Presnenskiy ladies guardianship of the poor, constantly took care charitable institutions of this part of Moscow and made significant donations. She financed a construction of the 15 beds maternity hospital with an outpatient clinic and donated it to the city in 1905. The nursery of the NL Schustov’s orphanage was named after her. She donated 10 thousand rubles to this orphanage in 1910. She also financed an opening of the free 8 beds maternity hospital and gynecological clinic at Levshinskiy Lane near Arbat.
Unfortunately Catherina could not have any kids and adopted a girl who received a good education, but then became ill with schizophrenia, which brought a lot of grief to adoptive parents.
Widowed by the time Catherine Vikulovna was taken her house away after the revolution. She was forced to live with her sick daughter in the basement of a house in one of the lanes of Prechistenka area.
Different embassies occupied the house after the revolution. Embassy of Germany had left there after the German unification. The building belongs to the sculptor Zurab Tsereteli today.
Mid-19th Century Estate. Main HouseVerkhny Predtechensky Lane, 8, bld. 1
The books from the house owner's library still can be found at antiquity auctions; the books bear their owner's seal: "Ivan Nikolaevich Tsvetukhin, Presnya, near the John the Baptist Church, own house, Moscow".
"Rostov’s house"52 Povarskaya Street
In the 1770s, this property passed to Dolgorukovs. They built two symmetrical service buildings at the edges of the main house with round-cornered rooms. At the turn of XVIII-XIX centuries, the main manor house was built on a mezzanine, decorated with two porticos and received a strict classical facade design. The house was described as a "House of growth" in the novel "War and Peace".
Society of former political prisoners and exiles club33 Povarskaya street
In 1926, the Society organized a museum with a library and archive. With the increase of activity a question about the construction of the new building arose. The need of the new building was presented as a center of research, political, educational and cultural activities of the Company. The project was commissioned to brothers Leonid, Victor and Alexander Vesnin, experienced masters, known before the Revolution, later became leaders of constructivism.