Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Graf Orlov’s summer houses
In 1796, architect of Count Alexei Orlov plants "English garden" and is builds a small pavilion called Letniy (Summer) on the edge of a high hill above the river.
One facade closed the upper part of the park; the other façade balcony has a southern panorama view of Moscow – from the Kremlin to Vorobievy Gori (Sparrow Hills).
Right in front of the park lodge cool down the slope, and at the bottom of the pond was dug, arranged another " Vanny " pavilion, a romantic "Mysterious " Grotto and many other park attractions. Not all of them have survived. The most famous was the "Air Theater", hosted in 1830 and existed until 1834th - cloister semicircle ; scene has been adapted so that the decorations were replaced by trees and shrubs.
Cabin was built of wood and resolved in a spirit of neoclassical architecture - a simple symmetrical plan by six Corinthian columns each with a larger front and one-story pavilion with shutters, grilles with every small.
Englishwoman Catherine Wilmot, who visited the garden in 1807, wrote: "He cut up countless paths, mounds, lawns and cliffs, a variety of pavilions and baths pleasing to the eye. Incidentally, in the park architecture uses birch bark: and you can not imagine how it looks great - as if the summer houses and pavilions were built by hand the very nature".
Since 1831 Neskuchniy garden becomes the property of Nicholas I. More precisely, only a part of it. Neskuchnoye estate was bought from Shakhovskys by Royal administration in November 1826. But the property of the king Golitsyn was acquired only in 1842 - mischievous N. Golitsyn ("The Queen of Spades" ) categorically refused to sell the land, and even in mentioned in her will that the property could only be sold in 5 years after her death. And only then, all three parts were combined and become the current plot of Neskuchniy Garden.
During the stay of the royal family in Moscow, Aleksandrinsky Palace was an official residence, Summer house was used for an imperial family tea party on plan air until 1917.
In the post-revolutionary period house was used for different purposes. “House of creativity” of the Union of Soviet Writers housed there for the longest period of time. Prior to the global transformation of Gorky Park, there was a library with reference hall. Now there is a photo shop.