Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
"On Lubyanka, in the possession of number 7, an old house of the XVII century was opened. This house belonged once to the princes of Khovansky. The building is 2-storey, on the outside it is well preserved. Inside the house there are vaulted ceilings and deep cellars. In the coming days, the building will be subjected to a detailed inspection, "- wrote" Evening Moscow "on October 21, 1926.
A detailed study of "valuable poorly known monuments of civil architecture " was held much later - only in 1973-1974, when the historic buildings across the corner of the block between Bolshaya Lubyanka and Varsonofevsky alleys was demolished for the construction of the administrative building of a nine- KGB quite ordinary in appearance. Chamber, back in 1960, declared a monument of architecture, then escaped and briefly opened up the world and art.
In the regional literature they are called chambers of princes Khovanskys that actually took shelter in fact on the contrary - in the possession of a farmstead Makaryevsky Zheltovodsky monastery. However, evidence that the yard in the Lubyanka, 7, also belonged to them until they were found. We only know that in 1737 these lands owned a servant of Prince Cantemir merchant D.N. Kondik, a Greek national.
In 1782, an inventory was conducted and the House with two wings (stone and wooden) was given to the State-owned distilleries Supervisory in Chambers-College. From the same inventory it is known that "this expedition requires wooden gates and fences to be transported again." Ownership nearby, overlooking Varsonofyevsky lane, belonged to the Strugovshchikov merchants, who sold the part closer to the Lubyanka, a merchant, the Greek Izot Lenzhe. He also bought a plot with chambers in 1784.
By the beginning of the 1870s, all three possessions between Lubyanka and Varsonofievsky were concentrated in the hands of the merchant's wife, an honorary citizen of Glafira Alexandrovna Popova (her husband K.A. Popov traded tea and sugar and had the firm "K. and S. Brothers Popovs "), which consistently bought up plots since 1856. She rebuilt the angular ownership of a three-story apartment house - the hotel "Billy". Rooms with "linen, tea, breakfast and lunch" are here 4 rubles per day. It is known that in 1863 the German composer Richard Wagner stayed at the hotel, and in 1867 - the French composer and conductor Hector Berlioz. Here, foreign merchants who lived in Moscow, gathered and exchanged postage stamps.
Since 1925 the OGPU became a tenant of all the buildings of the former "Billy" hotel. In the 1970s, the entire corner part of the quarter was demolished and 9-storey building along the lane, and then the 6 -story on Bolshaya Lubyanka were build. Chamber are securely "walled" inside the new quarter.
From studies of 1973, we know that the main two-storey volume refers to the last quarter of the XVII century, in terms of it is very simple - one large chamber and hall. At the beginning of the XVIII century in the west were added two more small vaulted rooms in each level. The main facade with unpreserved porch looking toward the Big Lubyanka. In a large chamber on the second floor of the vault preserved stucco second half of the XVIII century. In the interior of the north- western wall of the detected wall stairs connecting the ground floor to the upper and upper with a loft. Architects I. Kazakevitch, E. Zhavoronkova involving archaeologist A. Resurrection, investigating chamber in far -seventies, have prepared a restoration project, and the remaining unrealized. Today the house is occupied by the FSB, all requests of professionals to inspect the building are refused. Therefore, the Chamber can only seen on the images from the satellite or on the low quality picture from newspaper of 1926.