Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
House number 6 on Tverskoy Boulevard also known as Korobkova’s house, or the house of the St. Petersburg Insurance Society; although it was owned by the Partnership of Yaroslavl large manufactories. A.M. Konstantinov, the hereditary nobleman acquired the house in 1917.
The completion of construction of the house built by the order St. Petersburg Society of Insurance has become an event for Tverskoy Boulevard. It was a huge six-story apartment building decorated with a dome on top of the tower where the dragon is. Lattice balconies, bay windows, dangling between defended the giant wings of eagles. Window frames were designed as webs. Owls, swallows, bats found shelter on the facade of the house. The narrow balcony stretched along the front of the house under the eaves looks likea bridge hanging over the abyss. Architects A.F. Meisner and A.U. Zelenko were the authors of this castle comes from fairy tales.
Sabashnikov brothers, the founders of the famous publisher of scientific, historical and training literature were the most famous tenants of the house. The label "M.& S.Sabashnikovs "was a sign of quality and a guarantee of the success of any book published.
Mikhail Vasilievich and his wife purchased two adjacent apartments at the third floor in 1907: one for themselves and another one for brother Sergei (because of the misfortune that had befallen him, he was in need of permanent care). The apartments were connected with the inner course, and the brothers were free to conduct their business. They have rented an office space on the ground floor of the building for a publishing house.
Many interesting people were always visiting at Sabashnikovs’. Shanyavsky University founders’ committee held meetings here, new books, translations and new editions of already released titles were discussed.
It all lasted until October 1917. Artillery shells hit the attic of the building during the fighting at Nikitskaya Square. Fire erupted and could not be stopped because of the continued arms firing. All the apartments burned down, residents were unable to save anything. However some of the manuscripts kept in publishing offices in fireproof cabinets miraculously survived.
When the fighting ended, there was a black skeleton of the building looking onto the boulevard with empty window holes on the site of the former Korobkov’s house. The walls were riddled with bullets, a fabulous roof dome collapsed. Only forged Eagles still stretched out its wings guarding the balcony.
They did not bother to restore the original house in 1920. Now it is an ordinary apartment building of the early XX century.
The house where A.N. Skryabin lived11/1 Bolshoy Nikolopeskovsky lane
The house in the Bolshoy Nikolopeskovsky lane was built in the XIX century and acquired its present appearance after reconstruction in the early twentieth century, when A. A. Grushka, professor of philology at Moscow University, owned the estate.