Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
High-riser on Kudrinskaya square
On the western side of the square of Vosstaniye (Rebellion square), not far away from the zoo, the construction of a high-rise building designed by M. Posohin and A. Mndoyantz was completed in 1954.
It was a beautiful castle with a spike and lots of windows, 24 floors high, which housed 456 two-, three-and four-room apartments with all amenities.
In the ground-floor podium, at the basement of the building, for the convenience of the tenants the largest grocery store "Deli", cafe and other consumer service enterprise were opened. Two movie theatres, child-care institutions, storage and a car garage, even automatic telephone exchange to 10,000 numbers were located under this huge building.
In XIV-XVII century on the site of an incredibly huge building there was the Kudrino village. It belonged to Ivan Kalita’s grandson -Vladimir Andreyevich. In 1680 the court of V. Golitsyn, confidant of the tsarevna Sofia, was located here. When the latter fell into disgrace, the court went on to A. Naryshkin, the cousin of Peter I. An important road from the Kremlin to Volokolamsk and further - to Veliky Novgorod - passed through the village.
By the 1940s, the place was little different from rural. Although the square survived the revolutionary battles, it became the "gates of Red Presnya", the area of the Uprising, it remained an old Moscow suburb. The area and the area behind flowed smoothly to the Presnensky ponds.
Vosstaniya (Rebellion) square was chosen for the construction of another high-riser.
For that the square needed to be leveled and banked. The slope and the area with the public garden in front of the high-rise building were strengthened by granite walls. Little houses were demolished, and in 1937 the bulky house, which separated the square from Novinsky Boulevard, was gone.
Beautiful skyscraper was one of the seven high-rise buildings, built in Moscow in the decade after the Great Patriotic War, and one of the two high-rise residential buildings. For the post-war Moscow, where people mostly lived in communal apartments, former monastic cells and mansions, some even in the barracks, this house was a magical palace.
The building, designed in the style of Soviet art deco, was crowned with 30-meter spire with a five-pointed star. Expressive pilasters, stretched along the full height of the building, were making it even higher. The garden was decorated with sculptural groups that symbolized labor, creativity and defense (N. Nikoghosian, M. Anikushin, M. Babourine sculptors).
Marble staircases covered with carpets were rising from the lobby; double oak doors opened the entrance from the stairs to the floors of recreation. Apartments with high ceilings, high-speed elevators, and the style of "Stalin's empire" itself made the skyscraper a dream home of many Muscovites. "Inhabitants of heaven" occupied the building, that's why it got the name "House of aviators". Apartments were given to cosmonauts, test pilots and aircraft designers, as well as actors and high-ranking officials.
The entire Soviet Moscow was proud of the house, and S. Mikhalkov even "put" his giant Uncle Styopa next to it :
“At the place where there is the high-riser, there is a high-rise guard”.
Now the house is still a residential one, gradually changing the Soviet luxury to the modern one. In the ground-floor podium there is a bowling-club. But from the upper two floors the special equipment continues to maintain the radio watch of the U.S. Embassy.
Main House of a City HomesteadBorisoglebsky Lane, 15, bld. 3
The building is associated with several famous names: Mikhail Danilov, 18th century writer and author of papers on artillery theory and practice; Major General Nikolay Shcherbatov, veteran of the 1812 Patriotic War; Decembrist Nikolay Vasilchikov.
Mid-19th Century Estate. Main HouseVerkhny Predtechensky Lane, 8, bld. 1
The books from the house owner's library still can be found at antiquity auctions; the books bear their owner's seal: "Ivan Nikolaevich Tsvetukhin, Presnya, near the John the Baptist Church, own house, Moscow".