Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Leninsky prospect, 20
This is one of eleven buildings included in the Academy of Science of the USSR complex constructed using a new high-speed line method.
Five-entry seven-storey brick apartment building at 20 Leninsky Prospekt, is one of eleven buildings in the residential complex, built on the Grand Kaluga street by architect A.G.Mordvinov in 1940. Architects D.N.Chechulin and G.P.Golts also participated in the creation of complex.
Mordvinov’s residential complex formed a vision of the future Leninsky Prospekt. The architects in their project took into account the new appointment of the Big Kaluga Street, designed to become a high-speed highway connecting Moscow with Vnukovo airport. The street acquired a smart and at the same time dynamic look, meeting a new look at urban construction.
The building is like a mirror image of the house at number 18. Unlike his twin brother, at the house 20 only seven floors, one floor is left over the shops.
Both houses number 18 and number 20 are cross-sections of the giant open gates that lead into the limes alley of Neskuchnyi garden. The upper floor rises above the others in the form of a wide tower. Interesting is the solution of the front porch and the balconies of the middle floors of the house.
The entire apartment complex was built on Leninsky Prospekt in 1939-40 for the members of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences and the higher ranks of defense and security. The need of the residential complex was due to the fact that Academy of Sciences was translated from Leningrad to Moscow. Presidium of the Academy is located in Alexandria Palace (Leninsky Prospect, 14).
The complex is interesting because it was built by a new high-speed streaming method, proposed by the architect Mordvinov. Eleven houses were built in a record 14 months.
For the introduction of a new method of construction A.G. Mordvinov was awarded the Stalin Prize.