Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Lovely building, the true decoration of the entire Tverskaya Street that managed to keep its foundation during the days of its expansion and complete modifications still hidden behind false façade today.
Restoration works are conducted for many years here.
Ivan Maximovich Filippov the famous baker, who created the complex of its bakeries here and trading house with a bakery and coffee shop acquired the property that previously belonged to a noble Saltykov’s family in the middle of the XIX century. His upscale products and ingenuity were known all over Moscow. Muscovites retold each other rumors and legends, the most famous of which was the story of a cockroach-filed bun served to Governor-General Zakrevsky. The result of the story was the invention of the famous Filippov’s raisin bun.
His successor, Dmitry Ivanovich, radically rebuilt an old building, giving it an eclectic pompous look in 1891-1897. Changes did not end there: entire building was overbuilt with additional floors in 1907, and architect N.A. Eichenwald rebuilt hotel lobby in the left half of the complex in 1911. One of the most luxurious hotels in the city - "Lux" appeared along with the trading house. Also the famous Filippovskaya café house was known for its rich interiors created by P.P. Konchalovsky, S.T. Konenkov and V.M. Mayat. Many big shots of the time stayed in the "luxury" rooms: well-known writers, including Velimir Khlebnikov, the friend of the host, Dmitri Ivanovich Filippov.
Heirs of the famous baker lost the shop after the revolution, but the actual bakery remained in place. The main part of the building become the hostel of the NKVD in 1919 and then it was the dormitory of the Communist International, abbreviated - the Comintern in the 1920s. Many of the leaders of the world communist movement, the leaders of the pro-Soviet parties and underground organizations stayed here during their visits to Moscow. Bulgarian Georgi Dimitrov, Czech K. Gottwald, P. Togliatti Italian, French M. Torez were among them. In 1934, the building received another add-in and later became the hotel "Central".
Today the building is under restoration. Former Filippovka bakery shops located in the yard were destroyed along with other subsidiary buildings. New construction is planned at its place. Original mission is planned to be returned to the building - the modern hotel will be here.