Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
The house on the corner of Bolshaya Nikitskaya and Maly Kislovskii alleys was almost always the theater. Once there, however, stood stone chambers chief secretary I.Ya.Komarova, but at the beginning of the XIX century in their place, you could see the strange building, which has a large round central volume and two rectangular volume on the sides. The house belonged to a merchant of the 2nd guild G.N.Zarubinu and large rotunda was chosen " Cantor theatrical Directorate of the Moscow office." The office hired all the buildings from Zarubin "for putting them into on-screen Masquerades and concerts," and also intended to arrange an arch in a large circular hall, and draw rooms of rectangular volumes into the halls. Even then, the house of Zarubin near the Nikitsky Gate was known throughout the theater of Moscow.
In the fire of 1812 the house with the rotunda burned down. For a long time, the corner of Nikitskaya and the alley met the smoky skeletons passing by. Only in 1838 the son of a merchant, the retired lieutenant Yefim Zarubin undertook repairs and erected a three-story building, which included part of the old structure.
Thirty years later the Georg (Georgii) Paradiz (1846-1901) opened his theater here. The actor and owner of his own private enterprise Paradise was born in Germany in a wealthy merchant family, but soon found himself in Russia on the stage of the Petersburg German Imperial Theater. In 1882, having moved to Moscow, he founded an enterprise in Solodovnikovsky Passage, where he invited some of his Petersburg colleagues from a German company. The troupe was doing well, and in 1886 he opened his own theater in the house of Zarubin, rented for these purposes for 12 years. "Theater Paradise" Muscovites often called "Nikita Theater."
Georg Paradise immediately started construction. The new building of the theater of red brick in a rich pseudo-Russian style was designed in the late 1880s by architect K.V. Tersky, a young architect F.O. Shekhtel helped him, he is credited with the design of a magnificent facade. In the photographs of the beginning of the twentieth century one can see the roof of the main building and the same top turrets. Balcony over the entrance to the theater lit up the lights. Now all these details are lost.
Anton Chekhov wrote in his diary about the theater Paradis : " The theater was built with the money of one of the admirers of his talent, and the German performing arts in general, E.F. Shakhovskoy - Glebova - Streshneva. First, there were the performances of German company, initially biased Paradise ".
In 1893, the theater rents Y. Shchukin, which opens at the theater "Paradise" (the name has become its own ) Russian operetta performances of the troupe. The theater toured celebrities such as Ernesto Rossi, Eleonora Duse, Sarah Bernhardt, Benoit Coquelin, Ernst Possart.
The building of the theater May 1, 1899 was Chekhov's "The Seagull " - the only show in these walls for a single viewer. Due to a severe illness Anton could not come in the winter of Yalta on the triumphant premiere, and the company repeated the performance for him.
Subsequently, the theater was called "international", where performances were held in St. Petersburg and toured foreign troupes. It was closed after the revolution, when Western guest performers stopped coming.
In 1920 the building was a theater of revolutionary satire ( Terevsat ) in 1922, theater director Vsevolod Meyerhold was appointed, and the theater converted into a theater of the Revolution.
Meyerhold led the Revolution Theater for only two years. In 1923-24 he was actually headed by V.M. Bebutov, in 1924 the main director became A.L. Gripich, with his arrival the theater focuses on the production of modern Soviet drama.
Since 1931 A.D. Popov became the head of the theater. Then from 1943 to 1967 the theater is headed by N.P. Okhlopkov, now this is the Drama Theater, in 1954 he was given the name of Mayakovsky.
From 1967 to 2001, until his death, Andrei Alexandrovich Goncharov directed the theater.
The directors are changing, but the Mayakovsky Theater still occupies this building.
Vakhtangov theaterArbat street, 26
The stone house on this site was built in the second half of the XIX century for the father of the Sabashnikov brothers. They were publishers, known for serious preparation of printed texts. After 1917 the building was taken away from the owner, VP Berg, and transferred to the theatrical studio under the direction of Eugene Vakhtangov. It was called then the Third Studio of the Moscow Art Theater. After the war, a new facade of the theater was created, the main elements of which were pilasters in the entire height of the building, covered with flutes (narrow vertical grooves). The new hall began to accommodate 1050 spectators.