Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Medvednikovs & Rakhmanov charitable institutions complex
The history of the St.Alexis the Metropolitan of Moscow Central Clinical Hospital on Leninsky Prospect, 27 (formerly Bolshaya Kaluzskaya Street) counted from 1900, when the Moscow City Council has allocated a plot of land at the Kaluga Street, across the street from Neskuchnyi garden for the construction of the complex of hospitals and almshouses. The money for the construction of a hospital bequeathed known philanthropist, merchant widow of Alexander Ksenofontovna Medvednikova. Ivan and Alexandra Loginovich Ksenofontovna Medvednikova belonged to an ancient race of Irkutsk merchant, but lived most of their life in Moscow. According to the will of A.K. Medvednikova, who died in 1899, two -thirds of the capital city of Moscow passed to the charity. These funds were used to build a gymnasium building in Starokonyushenny Lane, a shelter complex for epileptics near Kanatchikov's house, but most of the money was intended for building a hospital complex "for incurable sick Christians without distinction of ranks, sex and age" and an almshouse with it. The hospital complex was built in 1902-1903 under the project of architecture academician Sergei Solovyov Ustsinovich. Along the Grand Kaluga Street were two large housing : bogadelenny - the Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God and the hospital - the Church of Our Lady of Kozelshchanskaya (now - St. Alexis). In the depths of the property were built housing with apartments for doctors and staff, farm buildings, a glacier and a chapel. All the buildings were designed in the Neo-Russian style; in the architecture of house churches, the influence of the Rostov temple architecture of the 17th century is felt. The interior murals of the temples were made by the Pashkov brothers' workshop, mosaic panels and tiles decorating the facades of buildings were made in the workshops of the Stroganov School. Hospital and hospice were equipped with the latest technology - in the buildings were water and sewer, electric lighting and ventilation, as well as steam heating system. The hospital was designed for 150 people, hospice - 60. For patients were arranged sewing and bookbinding workshops where they can work at will, as well as a library. For the children in the hospital there was a school. The complex of charitable institutions named after Ivan and Alexandra Medvednikova was inaugurated in December 1903 in the presence of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich and Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. In 1908, with funds bequeathed by philanthropist Alexandra Karpovna Rahmanova was built another hospice, with a separate entrance from the street Kaluga. The author of the project was also the architect S.U. Soloviev. In the Soviet years, the almshouses were abolished, and in the former building of the almshouse they placed the sick. The house temples and the chapel were closed shortly after the revolution and adapted for hospital needs. In 1924 the Medvednevskaya hospital was renamed into the 5th Grad clinical hospital. In 1992, it was named the Central Clinical Hospital of St. Alexis the Metropolitan of the Moscow Russian Orthodox Church. The temples were restored and returned to the believers.