Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Moscow State University’s main building
Today it is difficult to imagine Moscow without the majestic silhouette of the main building of Lomonossov Moscow State University. What is now the most large-scale high-rise building in the capital stands at Vorobyevy or Leninskie Gory (Sparrow or Lenin Hills) since 1953. It was the year of completion of the 4-year unprecedented construction project of the University ensemble designed by architects L. Rudnev, S. Chernyshev, P. Abrosimov and A.Hryakov. The chief engineer of the project was V.N.Nasonov.
The complex consists of 30 major and 20 auxiliary buildings, an observatory, a botanical garden, a park, and a sports area. Its total surface area is about 167 hectares.
The main building of Moscow State University, or ‘GZ’ (an abbreviation of glavnoye zdaniye,‘main building’, as it is called by students and teachers) facing the center of Moscow with its broad front. Its clear silhouette is visible from afar. The main building, topped by a spire with a star, reaches the height of 235.7 m; the highest part of the building has 36 floors.
During the construction of Moscow State University a new support system was developed. The developer of the system was an outstanding designer N.V.Nikitin (creator of the Ostankino TV Tower in Moscow). MSU resides on a box-like foundation, "floating" in the soil and provides a uniform draft for the building. Also developed were special parts for the steel frame. The building of Moscow State University was the tallest building in Europe at the time of its construction.
18 - and 9-storey dormitory wings are attached to the main building, forming cour d'honneurcourtyards. Students and post-graduates live in dormitories and in the corner towers are apartments for faculty members.
In the central part of the main body there are two faculties, an assembly hall accommodating 1,300 people, a scientific library and museum. The building is equipped with high-speed elevators, each carrying up to 20 people. The other faculties occupy buildings, located near the main one. Built at the same time with the main building, they make up a single ensemble of the Science Campus.
Giant clock, barometer and thermometer are installed on the towers, contrasting with the light-colored facing of the building. Prefabricated panels were used for the first time in Russia to decorate the structure
The main courtyard with fountains and flower beds is on the south side of the building. A monument to M.V.Lomonosov by sculptor N. Tomsky was installed here in 1953.
Honored Soviet artists and sculptors participated in the decoration of the University ensemble: N.V.Tomsky, S.T.Konenkov, M.K. Anikushin, E.V.Vuchetich, P.D.Korin, I.M.Toidze, and others. The building of Moscow State University on Vorobyevy Gory was and still is a symbol not only of the University itself, but the entire Russian education system as well.
Malchish - KibalchishKosygin Street, before the Moscow City Palace of Children and Youth
The first monument in Moscow literary hero A. Gaidar - Malchish-Kibalchish - established in May 1972, the 50th anniversary of the founding of the All-Union Pioneer Organization named after Lenin at the main entrance to the building, which was then called the Palace of Pioneers, and today it is the Moscow City Palace of Children and Youth on the Sparrow gorah.