Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Moscow merchant bank founded by N.A Naydenov, entrepreneur and Moscow historian was located on Ilyinka.
Ambassadorial yard was built on Ilyinka street in the area between Demetrios Solunsky Church in Fish Lane and Yushkov alley In the XVII century. That was a roomy stone building divided into several parts and designed to accommodate foreign ambassadors and their retinue.
Courtyard existed here for a hundred years. We can find its description and sketches in the memories of foreigners who visited Moscow in XVII-XVIII centuries. Court lost its purpose after the transfer of the capital to St. Petersburg. Since 1717 and up to a fire of 1737 it housed a silk manufactory of Baron Shafirov, Count Tolstoy and Apraksin. The factory also carried a name "Ambassador yard".
Merchants A.S. Pavlov and N.S. Kalinin acquired a large property in the end of the XVIII century. Then architect M.F. Kazakov built this roomy commercial and residential building. The house had the look of a classic building with a massive portico of Corinthian columns. Since different parts of the building belonged to two owners, the building was divided by a capital wall into two unequal parts.
In this form the building stood until 1882, when the left section was acquired by the N.A. Found Moscow Commercial Bank .
Redevelopment project was entrusted to the architect B.V. Freudenberg. Architect rebuilt Kazakov’s building, maintaining a smooth semicircular corner leading off the building in the Yushkov lane. The building was constructed in eclectic style, but a clear alternation of windows and pilasters, cornice reminiscent of Classical period house. Initially, plaster vases were decorating the roof of the building.
N.A. Naydenov, the chairman of the Moscow Exchange Committee for many years and co-owner of commercial and industrial company "A. Naydenov Sons" founded the Moscow merchant bank. Businessman and public figure, he was an avid historian and was knowledgeable of the history of Moscow. "Naydenov Albums" are known to all Moscow lovers. He organized and financed a large-scale photographical fixation of all the churches and unique buildings in the city.
In addition to trading bank, the building was also the office of the Moscow commercial and industrial company.
During the Soviet era buildings on Ilyinka street were occupied by different soviet institutions and later were included in the total complex of the Central Committee of the CPSU. Now this complex belongs to the Presidential Administration.