Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
In the 17th century this property belonged to boyar Nikita Romanov, a relative of the king. He did not have any heirs, and the house passed to his nephew, Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. Marrying Natalia Naryshkin, the king gave the yard to Leo Kirillovitch, Natalia’s brother. His son Ivan built the Chamber here in 1730. His daughter Catherine married Count Kirill Razumovsky, the younger brother of Empress Elizabeth’s favorite. This amazing beautiful complex appeared at that time. It consisted of a main house and two protruding side wings.
Facades and interiors were decorated, perhaps by the French architect Charles de Vaya in 1778, who worked in Kuskovo.
Kirill Alexeevich, the son of Count was married to the Countess Varvara Petrovna Sheremeteva, the daughter of the Kuskovo’s owner. The house was so beautiful, that some researchers have linked it with the name of the architect Bazhenov. Alex Kirillovich, the brilliant nobleman decided to get separated from his wife in 1784. He built an estate at Gorokhov field for himself and settled there with petty bourgeois Marya Sobolevskaya. They had 10 out of wedlock children together. Their last name was Perovsky.
He sold the house on Vozdvizhenka to his brother- Count Nikolai Petrovich Sheremetev. Thus, almost the entire Romanov Lane was in the possession of Nikolai Petrovich in the early 19th century. Romanov lane was called Sheremetevskii since then to the revolution. After marrying his former serf actress Praskovya Nikolai he preferred to live in St. Petersburg.
His numerous relatives lived In his house in Moscow. His son graph Dmitri Nikolaevich inherited the property in 1809.
A large main house was significantly altered in 1863: Count Dmitry leased it out to the Moscow City Duma. The most famous mayor Nikolai Alekseev worked in this house. The Duma moved out of the house in 1892, and Count Alexander Dmitrievich Sheremetiev, the owner of the house at that time leased it to the Hunting club, which reworked interiors once again. Another room for meetings and games was attached from the side of the church. Performances Society of Arts and Letters were conducted weekly in the great hall of the club. Anton Chekhov and Olga Knipper met here in September of 1898. Moscow chess club was placed in this house before 1917. Alexander Alekhine, the famous chess player was a member of the club. Future world champion Capablanca , the famous Cuban chess player performed sessions here in 1914.
Military Academy and the Museum of the Red Army and Navy were in the building after the Revolution. "Kremlin" clinic and the special dining room were in the house from the 1920s. Currently the number 1 Clinic of the Office of the President is here.