Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Residential building "For families" the experimentally RZHSKT "Exponential construction"
The communal house RZhSKT "Demonstrative construction" was built in 1929-1932. on the project of a group of architects consisting of M. Barsch, V. Vladimirov, I. Milinis, A. Pasternak, L. Slavina and engineer S. Orlovsky. The complex consists of three buildings, two of which were originally residential, and the third was public.
One of the two residential buildings were designed for families with children.In the 1920s, a number of low-cost housing projects were developed. The project of the building "for the family", implemented on Gogolevsky Boulevard, was called "house with cells of type A". Unlike the next building for single and small families, who have two- and three-level apartment-cells, in this building there were provided flat one-level two-room apartments with small kitchens.
According to the original project on the roof, following the example of E. Nirnsee's famous house in Bolshoy Gnezdnikovsky Lane, a kindergarten was planned. But this idea was never realized. Nevertheless, before the superstructure of the house with two floors in the early 1950s, the roof was actively used: there were solariums, playgrounds and recreation areas. At the same time, the roofs of the residential buildings were connected by a pedestrian bridge, dismantled during the reconstruction.
Stairs located in the semicircular ducts with continuous glazing made for front line that goes to Bolshoy Znamenskii alley. In the 1950s, elevators were built in the house, not provided by the original project. Rectangular brick elevator shafts were attached to the stairs and occupied the entire pavement space in the alley.In the early 1930s, A.L. Pasternak, the brother of the writer, the Nobel laureate B.L. Pasternak, lived in the house, who often visited him and stayed for a while in his apartment.
In the post-war years the building was thoroughly repaired and rebuilt with a partial re-planning of the interiors.
Recently a memorial plaque dedicated to the church of the Rzhevskaya Mother of God was erected on the facade from Bolshoy Znamensky pereulok, until 1929, standing on the site of the RZhSKT buildings "Demonstrative construction". It should be noted that the place for the board is chosen quite accurately, literally a meter from it under the ground are the remains of the altar part of the temple.
Vakhtangov theaterArbat street, 26
The stone house on this site was built in the second half of the XIX century for the father of the Sabashnikov brothers. They were publishers, known for serious preparation of printed texts. After 1917 the building was taken away from the owner, VP Berg, and transferred to the theatrical studio under the direction of Eugene Vakhtangov. It was called then the Third Studio of the Moscow Art Theater. After the war, a new facade of the theater was created, the main elements of which were pilasters in the entire height of the building, covered with flutes (narrow vertical grooves). The new hall began to accommodate 1050 spectators.
Averky Kirillov’s PalaceBersenevskaya Embankment, 18, 20&22/2
Even today, when it’s all but crushed by the neighboring colossus of the famous Soviet ‘House on the Embankment’, this house with white ornament details on its façade and a small mezzanine still attracts the attention of the passers-by, particularly if seen from Patriarshy Bridge.