Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.
Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko music theatre
It is difficult to say now how many droshkas and carriages stopped at this house, which is part of the large Saltykov estate, which in the eighteenth century reached Tver. From 1839 to 1909 there was the famous Merchant Club. They came here from all over Moscow, and not only ...
Family manor of P.S. Saltykov, inherited from his father by inheritance in 1742, occupied a whole block: from Tverskaya street to Bolshaya Dmitrovka and from Glinischevsky alley almost to Kozitsky. From the side of the lanes, the estate was closed by two churches - St. Alexei Metropolitan of Moscow and the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh. The facades of manor houses went to Tverskaya and Bolshaya Dmitrovka. Through the manor passed through passage. With the son of Pyotr Semyonovich Saltykov - Ivan Petrovich - the decoration of the territory of the estate was completed, and a neighboring yard with a garden was added to it from the side of Kozitsky Lane. The main house was rebuilt in the style of classicism. In 1804 it was renovated: the second floor appeared, and the side wings were connected to the outbuildings. The building was not damaged during the fire in 1812.
In 1839 it houses the Merchants' Club. In 1843, Franz Liszt performed in the club. In 1857 Leo Tolstoy took part in the debate on the abolition of serfdom in Russia, and of course , Moscow businessmen met here. Especially since the cuisine here was very famous, even Gogol specially went. Although Nikolai Vasilyevich loved the kitchen of the English Club, the concoction of the cook of the Merchant Club of Porphyry liked him more - first of all, because he was fatter and more populous. The club's extensive menu, served on "Tuesday" meals, is described even in Gilyarovsky's: sterlet ears, sturgeon sturgeon, veal banquet, turkey fed with walnuts, pigs with horseradish and porridge, caplets and poultry ...
The club came in fiction, particularly in the works of Alexander Ostrovsky. Still - a status place, and now Podhalyuzin (" His people - Family Affair ") dreams : " In winter, the Merchant Assembly will go, sir. Here also know ours-with! Let's dance a polka. " And in the play 'The Last Victim' describes the summer garden of this institution: "... on both sides of the trees, beside them a row of pillars, at the top of which are groups of illuminated street lamps; between the poles stretched wire with hanging ball-shaped white lanterns; near the pillars, on both sides, garden benches and chairs; in the depth of the stage for music ... ".
In 1909 the club moved down, and in its place the cabaret "Maxim", opened by the mulatto Thomas, "sparkling white teeth and a large diamond on his finger" was placed. "Maxim", named after the famous restaurant in Paris, was very popular. After the revolution, the building was occupied by the new Dmitrovsky Theater, specializing in operetta. Here Eisenstein in 1923 staged a sensational play "Do you hear, Moscow?". Then there were two studios - one Stanislavsky, the other Nemirovich-Danchenko.
At that time, the theater looked very colorful. Guest of Moscow, art historian from Germany, Walter Benjamin wrote in his diary: " Reich puts us in a tram, and we go into a music studio. Administrator accepts us. He presents us with a praiseworthy tip from Cazelles written in French, leads us through all the rooms (in the lobby a lot of the public long before the start, these are people who came to the theater right from work), shows us the hall. The floor of the lobby is covered with an extremely bright, not too beautiful carpet. It must be an expensive olyson. On the walls hang original old paintings (one of them without a frame). Here, as, indeed, in the official reception of the Institute for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries, there is also very valuable furniture. Our seats are in the second row. Play "Tsar's Bride" Rimsky-Korsakov - the first opera, recently staged Stanislavsky ... "
In 1941, the studio teamed up, finally, in the general theater named agter K.S. Stanislavsky and V.l. Nemirovich-Danchenko, which still exists. And all in the same former Merchant Club, only greatly changed.
In 1937 - 1938 the building was reconstructed according to the project of architect A.I. Fedorov. Practically an auditorium was rebuilt for 1000 seats with a modern opera stage, and the column hall of the mansion turned into a foyer. The following restructuring happened already in our time. The reconstruction was carried out in three stages. In 2006, a seven-story rehearsal and technological building grew up with underground parking lots and warehouses, later they began re-building the existing building and recreating the outbuildings of the former manor, the atrium with a light dome appeared last. Therefore, in the present appearance of the building it is rather difficult to find the features of a former manor.