RU

Do not forget to use our mobile app. It will make your journey around the city way more interesting.

The Kutafiya Tower

The Kremlin Wall
3.3
The tower was named after the Old Russian word «kut» meaning «shelter, corner», «peninsula».
+ -

The Kutafiya Tower (former Predmostnaya) is the only tower that survived till nowadays. Such watchtowers protected the bridges that led to the fortress. It was erected in 1516 by architect Aleviz Fryasin. The short tower (18 m), encircled by a moat and a river, had the only gate which was firmly shut in cases of danger. 

The Kutafiya Tower was roofless and consisted of two levels. There were loopholes on the tower's top. In 1685 it was decorated with an openwork top. The drawbridges across the moat led to the side Gate. To this day, one can see the gaps for chains in lifting mechanisms at the side Gate. 

Its current height is 13,5 m.

Text and photos provided by The Moscow Kremlin State Historical and Cultural Museum and Heritage Site.

Interesting

Houses
The Konstantin-Elenin Tower

The Konstantin-Elenin Tower

The Kremlin Wall

The Sts. Constantine and Helen Tower (former Timofeyevskaya) was erected in 1490 by Pietro Antonio Solari in the place of the white-stone Kremlin Timofeyevskiye Gate (1366-1368).

3.3
Houses
Kokorevskoye compound

Kokorevskoye compound

34/1 Sofiyskaya embankment

"Kokorevskoe Compound" is the largest building, preserved at the Sofiyskaya Embankment, though disfigured by a three-storey superstructure of the twentieth century. The belt of machine-guns, hinged loopholes of medieval fortresses, in the past completed the building and echoed the towers of the Kremlin, standing on the opposite bank of the Moskva River.

3.56
Houses
Print yard

Print yard

17 Nicholskaya St.

The most unusual building on Nikolskaya - the birthplace of printing in Russia.

3.19
Houses
Passage San Galli

Passage San Galli

11/1 Kuznetsky Most Street

The first French fashion shop opened here and brought the glory of the most "French" street of Moscow to Kuznetsky bridge for many years.

3.3
Houses
The Church of the resurrection in Kadashi

The Church of the resurrection in Kadashi

7 2nd Kadashevsky lane

Shining golden domes of the church are visible from far away all around: from the Kremlin, large bridge across the Moscow River and the hills of the Russian capital. The bell tower of the church stands in line with the Ivan the Great Bell tower in the Kremlin and the Church of the Ascension in Kolomenskoye. Decor of the temple’s facades is truly unique.

(no votes)
Places
 Nicholas Street

Nicholas Street

It is no coincidence that street street called Enlightenment.

(no votes)
Houses
"First step" house

"First step" house

20/2 Tverskoy Boulevard

This is a brick apartment building in the style of "avant-garde" was built for educators .

3.3
Houses
Arbatskaya subway station

Arbatskaya subway station

Vozdvizenka Street

Arbatskaya subway station opened for passengers on April 5th, 1953.

(no votes)
Houses
House - museum of Stanislavsky

House - museum of Stanislavsky

6/1 Leontievsky Lane

K. Stanislavski the great theatrical director lived and worked in this house for the last 17 years of his life.

(no votes)
Houses
22/1 Bolshaya Nikitskaya street

22/1 Bolshaya Nikitskaya street

22/1 Bolshaya Nikitskaya street

An editorial of the “Bolshevik” newspaper was in this house since 1905. It published Lenin’s articles.

(no votes)
Houses
Tenement Building

Tenement Building

Leontyevsky Lane, 8

The building in the Leontyevsky Lane is an example of eclecticism in architecture as well as that of a case of a private residence converted to a tenement building.

(no votes)
Houses
Ivan Morozov’s mansion

Ivan Morozov’s mansion

10 Leontief lane

This house is a monument of the creativity of three famous architects: Kaminsky, Shechtel and Erichson.

3.3