RU

Moscow Zoo

+ -

In 1862, in Moscow's Manezh exhibition held animals, organized by the Committee on the acclimatization of plants and animals. After the exhibition at the hands of the organizers left a lot of living "exhibits." Then the question arose about the opening in Moscow zoo. The main initiator of its creation was a professor at Moscow University, Anatoly Petrovich Bogdanov. We considered several options for the zoo: Izmailovo, Tsaritsyno Presnensky ponds. The choice was made in favor of fresh water. The decisive factor was close enough to the city center, which means convenience for potential visitors. For the device "a living museum in the open air" was filled with one of the ponds, private individuals were purchased adjacent land. And January 31, 1864 (February 12 n. S.) Moscow Zoological Gardens opened. A curious fact. In 1681 near Presnensky ponds was built suburban palace of Tsar Fedor Alekseevich. When the royal residence was Amusing yard, for which in 1685 "for the work of a chest Polar Bear" dropped 13 planks of pine-half, and under the chest, this contrived "wheels kindest." Thus, the first zoo existed in Presnya in the XVII century. The first buildings of the Zoological Garden was designed by PS Campioni. He brought to Moscow a group of animals, donated by the Paris acclimatization garden. Many animal lovers zoo donated money, donated animals. The commander of the frigate "Svetlana" II Butakov brought from circumnavigation collection of Australian animals. Emperor Alexander II gave the elephant. In the late 1870s - early 1880s in the Botanical Department of the Zoological Garden acted "Family Garden", hosted by well-known entrepreneur MV Lentovskogo. In subsequent years, to the zoo were built additional pavilions and enclosures. At the same time worked here well-known Moscow architects: LN Kekushev [http://um.mos.ru/personalities/2176/], SK Rodionov. At the end of the XIX century on the corner of Georgia and B. B. Presnenskaya (now - Presnya) streets instead unpretentious wooden arches appeared elegant entrance with two towers designed by architect KK Hippius [http://um.mos.ru/personalities/9994/]. Acted Biological Station, the building of which in the neoclassical style was designed by RI Klein [http://um.mos.ru/personalities/15360/] (Konyushkovskaya street, 31, p. 1). Significantly affected the zoo during the events of 1905 .: destroyed a number of buildings, burned the library, destroyed Aquarium. In 1919, the Zoological Garden nationalized. In subsequent years, its territory has increased significantly, the creation of scientific laboratories and research departments, and he received a new name familiar to us - Zoo. In 1936, the Zoo was built a new entrance, designed by sculptor VA Vatagin and DV Gorlov, which existed until 1964, the 850th anniversary of Moscow in the 1990s, revolutionized the Zoo (the work was done MNIIP "Mosproject 4"). A new entrance lobby, a number of new enclosures, various thematic exhibitions. Currently in the Moscow zoo contains more than 1,100 species and nearly 8,000 copies of various fauna.

Interesting

Monuments
Monument to Leo Tolstoy

Monument to Leo Tolstoy

Cook Street, Building 52

Sculptural monument to L. N. Tolstoy was installed in 1956 in front of an old mansion on Povarskaya Street.

(no votes)
Houses
The Roman Catholic church of Immaculate Conception in the Georgians

The Roman Catholic church of Immaculate Conception in the Georgians

27/ 13, p 1 Malaya Gruzinskaya Street

This is the largest Catholic church in the territory of Russia, ones occupied by the Research Institute, and the hostel...

(no votes)
Houses
Prince Gagarin’s house

Prince Gagarin’s house

15/3A Sadovo Kudrinskaya Street

Different people owned the property, but almost all of them wanted to arrange a children's hospital here. That still has not changed.

(no votes)
Houses
Church of the nativity of John the baptist

Church of the nativity of John the baptist

2 Maly Predtechensky Lane

Having built a stone church, the Muscovites left the wooden one. It’s like they anticipated Peter The Great’s stone construction prohibition.

(no votes)
Places
Presnensky

Presnensky

Presnia often called cradle of the revolution Presnensky district - an area in Moscow, located in the Central Administrative District.

(no votes)
Monuments
Monument of the Student, killed in the War

Monument of the Student, killed in the War

5 Nikolaev street, the area of the school number 87

Chapel with a gilded dome and names ..

(no votes)
Houses
Mid-19th Century Estate. Main House

Mid-19th Century Estate. Main House

Verkhny Predtechensky Lane, 8, bld. 1

The books from the house owner's library still can be found at antiquity auctions; the books bear their owner's seal: "Ivan Nikolaevich Tsvetukhin, Presnya, near the John the Baptist Church, own house, Moscow".

(no votes)
Houses
S.A.Tarasov – A.I.Bakakin Mansion

S.A.Tarasov – A.I.Bakakin Mansion

Malaya Nikitskaya Street, 28/1, bld. 1

Stucco molded decor on the ceilings, marvelous gilded mirrors and exquisite antique furniture with bulbous legs and silk upholstery have survived in the building's interiors.

(no votes)
Houses
Society of former political prisoners and exiles club

Society of former political prisoners and exiles club

33 Povarskaya street

In 1926, the Society organized a museum with a library and archive. With the increase of activity a question about the construction of the new building arose. The need of the new building was presented as a center of research, political, educational and cultural activities of the Company. The project was commissioned to brothers Leonid, Victor and Alexander Vesnin, experienced masters, known before the Revolution, later became leaders of constructivism.  

(no votes)
Houses
"Rostov’s house"

"Rostov’s house"

52 Povarskaya Street

In the 1770s, this property passed to Dolgorukovs. They built two symmetrical service buildings at the edges of the main house with round-cornered rooms. At the turn of XVIII-XIX centuries, the main manor house was built on a mezzanine, decorated with two porticos and received a strict classical facade design. The house was described as a "House of growth" in the novel "War and Peace".

Rating: 3.3