Barbarian - one of the oldest streets in Moscow. It was first mentioned in written sources in 1434 as "Varskaya" in connection with the burial of St. Maximus here's Cathedral, Moscow miracle worker. Archaeologists and historians do not exclude a more ancient origin of the street. There is a tradition of traveling on her Prince Dmitry Ivanovich troops into battle with Mamai in 1380, then known as All Saints Street and is part of the road from Moscow to Vladimir and Ryazan. Barbarian stretches on the brow of the hill above the Moskva River. In the XV century. on top of a hill settled Pskov, and since then the entire hill called Pskov slide. The track is tortuous streets and follows the natural contours of the natural landscape. In ancient times, parallel to High Street along the Moscow River was the lower Great street, connected to the network Varvarka lanes, and the territory between them called "charges". Historical layout is not preserved: it was destroyed in the XX century. in connection with plans to build huge structures. In 1967-2007 gg. here was located hotel "Russia", inscribed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's largest at the time of construction. Now the ground part of the hotel dismantled. Modern Barbarian became shorter, it starts Vasilevsky descent from the church of St. Barbara and ends at the exit of the subway. Earlier street rested against the barbaric gate. Fragment of Kitai-Gorod wall, which is visible to the left at the exit of the subway - the result of the reconstruction of the XX century. And white-stone base Barbarous tower, located in the underpass - the real foundation of strengthening the XVI century. Most local historians are inclined to believe that the Church of St. Barbara [http://um.mos.ru/houses/22193/], built in stone merchant surozhanami in 1514, gave its name to the street. Next to her, in the XVI century. were dungeons and prisons where interrogations of prisoners. From there went Moscow expression "to Barbara for punishment." Next to the barbarian sacrum selling herbs and roots, you can refer to the help of traditional healers and witch. In the Middle Ages wore street aristocratic character, for it has a yard of the boyars, the richest merchants and foreigners. In the XVI century. where the first foreign embassy in Moscow, and the next - the largest estate of the Romanov Boyars, transformed later into the Sign Monastery. Today in Varvarka in the oldest residential buildings in Moscow - indoor Chambers of the Romanov Boyars and English Court - open a museum. In the XVII - XVIII centuries. Street has been becoming increasingly commercial character, and in the XIX century. Barbarian lost its former reputation. Now it is famous for its drinking establishments and scammers. During the Soviet era houses in Varvarka turned into a communal apartment with a minimum of facilities, from the late 1940s. began their gradual demolition and resettlement. The street itself during this period bore the name of Stepan Razin. Today the face Varvarka unusual: it even side consists of separate monuments of old Moscow: churches and chambers, and the opposite side takes a number of fronts shopping malls and the arcade [http://um.mos.ru/houses/2131/]. Such a contrast - the result of artificial cleaning of even the street where to demolition at the turn of 1950-1960-ies. in addition to churches and chambers were located high-rise residential buildings. In this regard the creation of the park in the c Zaryadye supposed restoration of monuments Varvarka and updating of the streets in the coming years.
Golitsyn chambersKrivokolenny lane, 10
Previously it was believed that the chambers of the 17th century remained only on the first floor of the building. But in 2008, the restorers discovered that the second and even the third floors were built at the same time in the 17th century.