RU

Do not forget to use our mobile app.

Kitay-gorod: Moscow City

Do you know where Kitay-gorod in Moscow is? If you, like many others, think that this area of the same name subway, you very, very wrong.
3.61
3 Nicholskaya Street - 10 Ilyinka Street
30 houses 2 hours 30 minutes 2,7 km
+ -
Kitay-gorod is a cultural and historical district in central Moscow, in the 1500-1600s also called the Great Possad. It starts from the Red Square (formerly considered part of it), bordered on the north with Okhotny Ryad, Theatre Square and Theatre Passage, in the east - with Lubyanka and Old Square, in the south - the Moscow River. Scientists have debated for many years and different interpretations of the name of Kitay-gorod. The most important thing - it clearly has nothing to do with China and it is wrong to translate it into English as "Chinatown". Many are inclined to believe that this is an "middle" city or "fortress" -City like Pechenegs Polovtsian had. In Podoliya, where Elena Glinskaya (mother of Ivan the Terrible) came from, the word "China" or "Kytai" means fortress. A big wall around the entire Posada, contains, in addition to many noble houses of citizens, merchants all shops, markets, or markets, holy temples and Red Square to protect against invasion of the Tatars and Lithuanians built according Glinskaya’s decree in 1538. The wall built in three years, had a length of about 2.5 km, the wall thickness of up to 6 m, a height of about 6.5 m. The wall had 14 towers, the most famous of which are Neglinnaja, Iverskaya (named so after a chapel built later) Trinity, Vladimirskaya, Ilyinskaya, Varvarskaya and Moskvoretskaya. Wall stood for nearly 400 years and in the years 1932-1935 dismantled. The remaining two pieces of walls - from Revolution Square behind the hotel "Metropol" and the barbaric area to the waterfront. Walk through Kitay-gorod we start from the Kazan Cathedral, St. Nicholas Street opening.
  • 1

    Kazansky cathedral

    Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God is located at the intersection of St. Nicholas and the Red Square on the site of the historic battle with the Poles held on 22 October 1612. Second militia failed to take Kitay-gorod and release the Kremlin. With the army arrived in Moscow miraculous image of Our Lady of Kazan, after whom one of the leaders of the militia, Prince Dmitry Pozharsky, built in the 1620s Kazan wooden church on the site of the battle. ...More info

    Look at the GUM building across the street.
  • 2

    Upper shopping arcade (GUM)

    Trading on the territory of modern GUM conducted from the XV century. The historical name of the complex - Upper Trading Rows. Initially, Nicholskaya, Ilyinka and Varvarka shared all trade by the Kremlin on the upper, middle (which we shall see later) and the lower trading rows. Each block divided into rows inside, the nature of the goods: Bell, caftans and so on. In the XV-XVI centuries, trade conducted in wooden shops, stone buildings appeared under Boris Godunov in 1596-1598, but in spite of frequent fires stone shops appearance instead of wooden ones was very slow. Front of the upper rows built up the second floor and received an arched facade with ten-column portico from the Red Square side in the 1780s. Today we see none of the rows – neither those that were lost in 1812, nor even those that have been built to replace it... ...More info

    Go down Nikolskaya street to the building behind Kazan Cathedral
  • 3

    Novonikolsky (Iversky) bazaar

    This part of Nicholskaya street built up by variety small wooden shops at the end of the XIX century. The plot owned by the Ministry of Interior. Group of large-scale Moscow businessman rented this plot of land for the construction of new shopping malls in 1899. Lev Kekushev was the author of the project of Novo-Nikolsky or Iberian shopping arcade with support of S. Schutzmann. The interior of the building completed In 1903 and Nikolskiye rows opened their doors to customers. Shopping arcades were affordable only for the wealthiest merchants. Arcade’s building accommodated eight large stores, each of them had a separate arched entrance to Nikolskaya Street. Shops separated from each other by main walls, warehouses provided in the basement. On the inside of the series were metal gallery connecting shops together. ...More info

    Go to 7 Vetoshny lane
  • 4

    Merchants Kupriyanovs’ apartment building

    Gradually Kitay-gorod became a big shopping and office center in Moscow. Incredible number of business farmsteads with barns merchants housed here. All merchants who trade or produce anything in Moscow had their barns (ofins) in Kitai-Gorod. We can see two such courtyards along Vetoshny alley... Panteleevskaya trade farmstead called by the name of the owner, merchant Panteleeva. The farmstead consisted of two buildings - number 7 (1873, architect AN Stratilatov) and number 9 (1878, architect N. Vasiliev). They were built on the site of a former General Ivan Buholtsev yard. Two similar but different facade shared a common long T-shaped courtyard. trade and warehouse spaces were on the territory of the farmstead. ...More info

    Go down the lane to the house number 11
  • 5

    Kazan bishops compound

    Another compound is Kazan farmstead. Kazan farmstead replaced stone buildings of the XVIII century in 1874, in turn, built on the foundations of the surviving buildings of an earlier time. Moscow historians IM Snegiryov and KP Averin assumed that the former site of the Kazan monastery was Old Nicholas Greek monastery (founded in the XIV century). Averin thought that here there was a meeting of Metropolitan Cyprian in 1380, and here the abbot David vows as a monk wife of Vasily III of Solomon sent to the monastery because of their infertility. In 1836, historians have studied the construction of the Kazan monastery and concluded that they were living chamber. Also found traces of earlier buildings on the site was hosted on bishop's house: "The building appears, XV and XVI centuries, two floors with double half-columns, and in another building adjacent to it, at the bottom of the dungeon for the monks." We also know that Kazan farmstead finished building in 1722, while accommodating the Greek School, where he taught and lived celibate priest, a famous preacher and teacher of the Greek language in Moscow Sophronius Likhud (1652-1730). Several stone outbuildings added during his time. openwork metal balconies and stairs of the XVIII century preserved in the courtyard of the house. ...More info

    Go back to Nicholskaya street
  • 6

    Zaikonospassky monastery

    Returning to Nikolskaya, we come to the birthplace of the Russian education - Zaikonospassky monastery. This place means a lot for the development of higher education in Russia. It has always been called the cradle of learning. Monastery of Our Saviour founded in 1600 by Boris Godunov. His first mention in historical documents in 1635. The name "Zaikonospassky" due to its location for the icon next to Nikolskaya found along the street where the icons for the pious custom of "exchanged", without bargaining and assigning to them a solid "divine" price, which was often too high. From the middle of the XVII century in the name of the monastery, there is the word "didactic". During the Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in 1665 through the efforts of Simeon of Polotsk opened the first school of the Saviour. It was he and his disciple Sylvester Medvedev wrote a project of the Academy establishment - the first higher education institution all society grades. The official year of the opening of the Slavonic-Greek-Latin Academy considered in 1687, when here from Epiphany Monastery transferred school Lihudov brothers. After the opening of the Moscow State University in 1755, the Academy became the highest theological school and prepared only of the clergy. In 1839, the Moscow Theological Seminary was transferred to a new bought for her manor house, Osterman-Tolstoy Bozhedomka (now delegate the street), and then in 1918 in Sergiev Posad. ...More info

    Come to the nearby monastery
  • 7

    St. Nicholas monastery

    Zaikonospassky bordered by Nicholas Monastery, many believe that it was he who gave the name of Nikolskaya Street. Nicholas Greek monastery (Nikolskaya in the Old Big sacrum, Nikola Big Head from kissing the cross) - one of the oldest monastic cloisters Kitay-gorod (1390). Nicholas was one of the most venerated saints in Russia - and Kitay-gorod: 13 of 56 thrones was dedicated to St. Nicolas in 1917; Kremlin’s Nikolsky gate decorated with icon of St. Nicholas Mozhaisky. Annals associated the monastery with Greeks: it may have served them a refuge in Moscow. In addition, Nicholas Monastery served as a place of detention for guilty priests. Ivan the Terrible gave the territory between Zaikonospassky monastery and Printing House to Athos monks for a temporary stay in the middle of the XVI century. The Greeks built the Church of St. Nicholas the wondermaker (Nikola Big Head). However, the monastery was subject of the Moscow Patriarchate. ...More info

    Zaikonospassky bordered by Nicholas Monastery, many believe that it was he who gave the name of Nikolskaya Street. Nicholas Greek monastery (Nikolskaya in the Old Big sacrum, Nikola Big Head from kissing the cross) - one of the oldest monas
  • 8

    Cathedral of the epiphany monastery

    Huge Epiphany Cathedral has not lost its importance in modern Moscow. There is no monastery per se, new buildings appeared near, but it still stands in there, applying for the central importance to Kitay-gorod. Its powerful dome is perfectly visible from the Moskva River and is able to compete even with St. Basil's Cathedral on Red Square. Epiphany Monastery considered one of the oldest in Moscow: it founded by the first Moscow Prince Daniil Alexandrovich in 1296. Only Danilov Monastery is older. Initially, all of the monastery buildings were made of wood, but in 1342 on donations of Boyar Protasius the first stone Cathedral of the Epiphany erected here. In the future, all the restructuring was carried out on the basis of the building: in 1571, after the invasion of the Crimean Khan Devlet Giray, then in 1624 at the end of the Time of Troubles. Finally, in the years 1693-1695 on the foundations of the old cathedral was erected the present building. Subsequently, it renewed several times, but the structure is not changed. ...More info

    Вернемся обратно на Никольскую улицу
  • 9

    Chizhovsky compound

    Chizhevskoye farmstead is the largest in Kitay-gorod and occupies an angle of Bogayavlsensky Lane and Nikolskaya Street. Merchants buy 1st guild, brothers Gabriel and Alexei V. Chizhov, owners of the largest banking offices acquired the property in 1842. The courtyard and went down in history under this name. They rebuilt the entire site almost completely, erected complex three-storey buildings along the perimeter of the property and it became known as "Chizhovsky compaund" - the largest business district in Kitay-gorod.  Hotel with furnished rooms and facilities for the storage of goods and retail shops appeared here as in other compounds. a shop merchant Ivan Shchukin, a large store and publishing Kushnereva K, barn Prokhorov factory were in the courtyard. Simon Dimanche, beloved AV Sukhovo-Kobylina, who was killed in unknown circumstance lived in the hotel. Hotels "Trade" and "Chizhovsky farmstead" were in the courtyard before the revolution. A large store of "Rally and K" company, which decorated the facade with bas-reliefs in the Art Nouveau style at the corner of the Epiphany Lane. Angle decorated with delicate balcony. ...More info

    Let’s look at the very interesting building across the street
  • 10

    Print yard

    The old Nikolsky Sovereign Printing Yard with turrets and fanciful beasts on the façade located across the street. It is the birthplace of printing in Russia. Ivan the Terrible and Metropolitan Macarius put on Nicholas Sovereign's Printing House. Most likely, the book then printed as early as the 1550s. The first undisputed author dated book was Ivan Fedorov, deacon of the church of St. Nicholas Kremlin Gostunskii who worked there with Peter Mstislavets. They went down in history as the Russian first printer. The first dated book "The Apostle" released to the public on March 1, 1564, 120 years after Gutenberg. In the confusion of 1611, Printing Yard burned down, rebuilt in 1620 and worked extensively entire 17th and 18th century, producing prayer books and textbooks. The first newspaper published in 1703 under the decree of Peter I in the Printing yard. It marked the beginning of Russian periodicals. In 1722, the printing press created then transferred to the Holy Synod, and until 1917 there was the Moscow Synodal Press, one of the largest and best equipped in Russia. In the printing press was a unique set of fonts, including the Coptic and Syriac. ...More info

    The famous hotel "Slavic Bazaar"is bordered with the building
  • 11

    Slavic bazaar

    The history of this estate goes back centuries. The left part belonged to different merchants in the 16th century; the right one belonged to Mikhail Nikitovich Romanov, the nephew of Queen Anastasia. Gregory Otrepyev has served there. Synod printing acquired the land in 1761. In 1777, the dilapidated building dismantled and the architect Nazarov built a new house with a gate. In 1868, the Synod Office has decided to pass the house to famous Moscow developers Porohovschikov and Azanchevsky to increase revenue. In 1869-71, the architect Roman Gedike builds for them the hotel building on Nikolskaya, and in the courtyard of a semi-circular in terms of commercial premises. The hotel over the years stayed PI Tchaikovsky, AS Suvorin, NA Rimsky-Korsakov, Gleb Uspensky, V. Stasov. In 1875, architects AL Gong and PE Kudryavtsev designed the "Russian conversation" room for public lectures and meetings in the Russian Uzoroche style in the hotel. Historians Pogodin and Popov and many others spoke here. IE Repin painted the famous painting "Slavic composers" for this hall. It is in the Moscow Conservatory now. The hotel often mentioned in the works of AP Chekhov: he had been here many times with his friend Suvorin. There were visits from the main characters of "The Lady with the Dog", Trigorin is dating Nina Zarechnoj also in the "Slavonic Bazaar". Semicircular space in the yard Porokhovshchikov in 1873 by Alexander Weber remade into a restaurant. Thus was born the famous "Slavic Bazaar". ...More info

    Go to the building across the street
  • 12

    Sheremetevskoe courtyard

    Sheremetevs owned the plot on Nikolskaya street from Chizhevsky farmstead. This is their ancestral domains, named "Chinese home” in their office. There were chambers, where a few generations of this famous family were born, lived and died. Angular ownership, adjacent to Sheremetevsky on Nikolskaya street, on the turn to the Bolshoy Cherkassky Lane, belonged to prince Cherkassky. The alley named in their honor. There were those chambers where the February 23, 1730 at Prince Alexey Borisovich Cherkassky sat supporters of a limited monarchy. Sole heir Prince Alexei Borisovich was his daughter Princess Varvara, who in 1743 married a neighbor Count Pyotr Borisovich Sheremetev, so combine the two major state and ownership. Since the end of the XVIII century, no one lived there. Contractor AA Porokhovshchikov leased abandoned land in 1860. In 1862 the architect AS Nikitin elevates the hotel building between two wings, which is called Sheremetevsky farmstead and asphalt a part of Nikolskaya Street in front of it along the red line of Nicholskaya Street. This site covered with the first "Jew resin" as our ancestors called asphalt. Artist Mikhail Nesterov in 1874, stayed in this hotel when he came to Moscow to study at Imperial College. ...More info

    Undoubtedly attracts attention Tretyakov Passage, also closely associated with trade
  • 13

    Tretyakovsky proezd (passage) and merchants rows

    In 1868, the brothers bought land Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov. In 1869, they served to the city council a petition for rescheduling the site permission to dismantle part of the wall, and in the middle to arrange the passage connecting Nikolskaya with Theatre Passage. It was supposed to make traveling public so that it was easier to get to Nikolskaya and goods in Kitay-gorod. In 1870, permission obtained for analysis of the highest part of the wall. Author of the project of a new shopping arcade and a travel-in-law was Tretyakov - sworn architect Alexander Kaminsky. He was married to the sister of the Tretyakov Sofia Mikhailovna. Neo-renaissance style building arrected along Nicholskaya street and on the Theater Lane constructed the house in the Russian style, blending in with the wall of Kitay-gorod. Both houses have done more travel arch. Particularly successful the view through the arch gate, located on Nikolskaya Street, on the second gate - by a small rotation of the arch with the axis directions - it seems the historical streets of Moscow with buildings of different eras. In the passage from both sides built homes for shops with a brick decor a bit "harsh", but with large windows windows. Here is the largest tea shop Basil Gavrilovic Kulikov, perfume "Brocard and Rally", the finished gown brothers Alexeyev, time and yuvelinye shops firm Victor Gabyu, famous shop "Phoenix", was selling popular among aristocrats Moscow Art Nouveau furniture. Authorities called the passage after the Tretyakov brothers. You can read it on the old plate - "Honorable citizens PM and SM Tretyakov" dispensed on a fortified gate in the arch of the left on Nicholas Street. ...More info

    We look at the building with columns next to the travel
  • 14

    Ferrein’s pharmacy

    At the end of Nikolskaya street in Kitay-gorod stands one of the most beautiful buildings - the house twenty-one. This building is the most famous Moscow pharmacy – Ferrein’s pharmacy. He is incredibly mysterious architecture. On the facade of St. Nicholas welcomes you in a neo-Renaissance: the large windows of the second floor framed by tall fluted columns topped by four statues of Gigy, the goddess of health that feed from the cup of snakes. For the rest of the city it looks medieval castle with a clock tower. Rather, now with an empty opening: clock, installed by Vladimir Karlovich Ferrein for the convenience of the Muscovites, there has long disappeared and have not been replaced by anything. The house was built in 1893, architect AE Erichson. While Ferrein’s pharmacy was the largest in Europe. Its large halls decorated with gilded vases, carved oak cabinets, chandeliers and statues. For interior decoration furniture ordered masters famous at the time of the company Louis Majorelle from Nancy in 1912. Marble stairs with wrought-iron railings lead from floor to floor. Stuffed bears greated all outside the main hall. ...More info

    The last House on Nikolskaya has a very sad history
  • 15

    "Shooting house"

    House at 23 Nikolskaya Street has a long history - the lower floors include fragments Chambers princes Khovanskys of XVII century. In the XIX century the building belonged to the Moscow craft council, in one of the apartments hired in 1835 lived Nikolai Stankevich - the founder of the so-called "circle of Stankevich," Literary and Philosophical Association, which included Belinsky, TN Granovsky, Aksakov, A . Koltsov, M. Bakunin. But is best known as the building received as "firing house" - here in the years of the Great Terror housed the Military Collegium of the USSR Supreme Court, headed by V.V.Ulrih. Military Collegium moved from Spiridonyevka the building on Nikolskaya Street. (Then October 25 street) in the early 1930s and was placed there by the end of 1940. May take into account when selecting the location and the proximity of the KGB - in any case, the stories of underground passages between the buildings featured in numerous memoirs. ...More info

    We turn to Bolshoy Cherkassky Lane, named for possession of princes Cherkassky
  • 16

    A.G. Hadjiconsta's store

    On the right side, we get into the arch of the house number 4 and arrive in the last century. At the beginning of the XIX century all, the vast estate passed into the hands of merchants, Nezhin’s Greeks Hadzhikonst or Hadji Const. Around the Greek Nikolskaya Monastery since ancient times the Greeks settled, close to owning another Nezhinsky Greek Bostanzhoglo. Then built another house, a little further in the yard, on the first line of the mansion, with its beautiful wrought umbrella over the entrance. His spoiled repair the early 1990s. Vast courtyard of the estate, which previously was a large manor garden Odoevskogo Hadzhikonsta used for storage of various commodities. Architect KF Busse was built on a long lane, unassuming-looking body, replacing a single-storey stone shops almost at the end of the XIX century, in 1891-1892. Before World War I the then owner of the site, EA Hadzhikonsta wanted to demolish all the buildings and build a large shopping mall project FO Shechtel, but the revolution prevented her to do it. ...More info

    beautiful house occupied now the Central Election Commission is across the street from the farmstead
  • 17

    Princes Golitsyn’s apartment building

    In 1901, architect AF Meisner built apartment building in the Art Nouveau style for Prince Alexander Nikolayevich Golitsyn. Apartment building is a dwelling that belonged to a noble and wealthy person who built it specifically for lease. On the first floor in apartment house located Golitsyn TD Dunaeva and heirs, TD SA Mikhailova sons, shops and offices. ...More info

    Go to the next house in the alley
  • 18

    Merchant Nosov’s apartment building

    The building of the shopping type built here after the fire of 1812. This site was once integral to the plot number 9 and it was a vast courtyard of prince Cherkassky. The entire lane called later after him - Bolshoy Cherkassky. In the middle of the XIX century barn belonged to the Moscow merchant Alexei Ilyich Serebryakov. Vasily Dmitrievich Nosov bought it in 1870s. According to the description of Vasily Dmitrievich’s grandson, Yuri Bakhrushin it was under the roof of an ancient building with cast-iron staircases. There were clerks, scores clicked, creaked feathers, and towered over the entire host, who did not like the disorder. Always in the middle of samovar was boiling, hawkers come with high-quality products for tea or dinner. Visitors are always treated and treat it was of excellent quality. The brothers were Nasal cloth factory on Vvedenskoj area. It began in the 1830s as the production of their mother Natalia Yudishny bow. Scarves produced there, kazinet and tights. Since 1832, the brothers began to produce cloth. In this case, at first it was the so-called Caucasian cloth from which sewed Circassian. It imported to the Caucasus under the guise of local production. ...More info

    Merchants Koznova-Baskakov’s farmstead located Immediately behind this building
  • 19

    Merchants Koznov’s apartment building

    The complex houses the Northern Insurance Company coming to the Bolshoy Cherkassky Lane, by the architect OG Piotrovich built in 1899 -1900. Northern Insurance Company founded in St. Petersburg in 1872. Seven years later, the company moved to Moscow, and in 1880 insured against fire, which was very profitable business. It was one of the largest insurance companies to actively invest surplus funds in the construction of apartment buildings and business centers. Least of all undergone restructuring merchants Koznov former possessions, the first structure to appear here in the late XVIII century and were capitally rebuilt in 1875 by architect GP Ponomariov in the "brick" business style. Koznova came from Penza merchants. It is interesting that in 1774 it was in their house a festive dinner when Pugachev August 2 took Penza. ...More info

    Will visit the corner building
  • 20

    Aleksandrov’s apartment building

    We have come with you to the corner of the alley Staropansky, named by immigrants from Poland, who came to Moscow to Sofia Vitovtovna and settled here. At the corner of the courtyard is an interesting Petersburg merchant Alexandrov. Building a business court in St. Petersburg merchant MA Alexandrov was built in 1898-1899 years. architect AV Ivanov on the corner Staropansky and Big Cherkassky alley. One of the most successful models in Moscow strict business building and one of the earliest applications of functionalism techniques for retail and office space. Frame structure facade allowed to make large windows, whose monumental contrasts with fine filigree cast French balconies at the bottom of each window. That adorns a rather dull and dry facade. Noble and humble appearance of the building distinguish it from the work of the same period F. Shekhtel close to TD "Arshin and K". ...More info

    Go to the house at 5 Staropansky Lane
  • 21

    Arshinov trading house

    Fedor Shekhtel built an office building of the Trading House "Arshinov and Co” on rented from a nearby church of Cosmas and Damian plot of land in the Stropansky alley in 1899. This is one of the earliest examples of Moscow Art Nouveau. And the first office building in this style. The customer and the owner of the house Basil Fedorovich Arshinov was born in 1854 in the city of Saransk Penza province in a family of merchants. Eleven years old, he was sent to work as a "boy" in the shop. In May 1872, Vasily Arshinov went to Moscow and got to the storeowner Danilov manufactory VE Meszerina Pyatnitskaya street. Only ten years later he was owner of his own cloth shop (it was nearby, in Mescherinov’s house on the corner of Staropansky and Epiphany lanes), the tenant and the villa neighborhood organizer New Tsaritsyno area of almost one hectare. In 1884, he creates a trading house "Arshinov & Co". ...More info

    an old church Cosmas and Damian is across the street
  • 22

    The Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian

    Church of the Holy disinterested and miracle workers Cosmas and Damian in the Old Paneh, Iver Orthodox church of the Moscow City Deanery of the Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, located in Kitay-gorod. The main altar of the church consecrated in honor of Saints Cosmas and Damian, chapel - in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God. In XVI-XVII centuries there was the tract "Old Pana", where the Polish "Pansky yard" (in front of the currently existing church of St. Barbara Street. Varvarka), trade and diplomatic missions of Poland in Moscow. Landlord's courtyard mentioned in chronicles in 1508 - the report of a fire, the former in Kitay-gorod. People often call this place a "Pana". According to another version, the name of "Pana" (or "old Pana") arose in connection with the offering here on the other side Il'inka, Ambassadors of the order, also known as the Order of Panskoe since most embassy were "pans" that is from Poland. ...More info

    Go along the lane to the Exchange Square
  • 23

    Ryabushinsky partnership bank

    Staropansky lane faces Exchange Square with two interesting buildings. Ryabushinskys’ Bank is on the right. This is the first building of Fedor Shechtel in the style rational modernity and the first "merchant barn" that combines the bank and trading house. Merchant Ryabushinskys’ family was at the time one of the wealthiest merchant families. Pavel Riabushinskii leave their children a well-run business in the textile industry Vyshniy Volochyok, commercial office, which was located in the courtyard of the Epiphany Chizhevskaya Lane, and 20 million. Rubles. In 1902, four brothers, Paul, Vladimir, Stepan and Sergey founded the "Ryabushinskys Brothers Bank " with a capital of 1 050 000 p. They created a short-term well-functioning business system "Bank - production." To update a large firm of the new bourgeoisie needed something solid, simple but impressive in its simplicity, and fashionable, but in moderation. The construction entrusted to F. Shekhtel, and he created one of his masterpieces - the building is almost devoid of any decoration, only modest garland above the top floor and flat wreaths beneath several enliven strict facade. Almost his entire plane occupied by huge windows that leave little room for intermediate floors and horizontals, faced with glazed brick. ...More info

    We look at the building on the left
  • 24

    Apartment building of Danilovskaya manufactory partnership

    The property of merchants and manufacturers JF Karunin was on the corner of Staropansky alley In the middle of the XVIII century. His name has long called neighboring area. In the 1870s, first guild merchant Vasily Efremovich Meshcherin, founder and owner of "Danilov manufactory" bought the land. In 1867 he opened a small finishing workshop, which for ten years has grown into a large textile industry with a complete cycle. To expand the business in 1876, he created a partnership, where board members at different times were KT Soldatenkov, FL Knop, NI Shchukin, GP Neyveyler, AS Behr and others. In 1877-1878, Meshcherin demolished all the old buildings here and constructed survived to our time building designed by architect MP Stepanov. contractor Myron A. Panteleev, who recalled that the owner Basil Meshcherin together with the workers in the early morning kneaded solution and put the bricks built the house. Then he went into his barn, riding a manufactory, and again in the evening back on the scene and he supervised the entire process. The house built in the typical style of trading farmsteads. In the lower two floors housed shops (in the courtyard preserved even number of inputs in them), while the upper floors set aside for living rooms, in the vast cellars were the same goods warehouse. On the ground floor is preserved original woodwork - carved decoration entrances to commercial premises, painted plates. ...More info

    We approach the Stock Exchange building on the other side of the square
  • 25

    The exchange building

    Stock Exchange building appeared on Ilyinka in 1839. Then, at the corner of the alley of the Rybinsk grew house architect M. Autograph. Moscow merchants were waiting for him for 11 years - so much time has passed since the merchants appealed to the Governor-General D. Golitsyn with a petition to establish a stock exchange in Moscow. Place for the new building after much debate chosen next to the Old Seating yard. Building partially paid Emperor Nicholas I, but mostly it was based on the merchant money. In the 1870s, there was a question on the restructuring of the building. By this time the market got its own charter (before Moscow stock exchange worked at the Petersburg statute), and the telegraph. For the construction of a new, more spacious Exchange purchased adjacent land in Rybny Lane. New Building Project prepared architect AS Kaminsky. The two-story building built on the model of a classical temple. Facade, entrance to the Ilyinka had classical portico decorated with stucco. On the pediment, sculpture preserved the old Roman god Mercury, the patron of trade. On both sides of the entrance, there are two bas-relief depicting griffins. ...More info

    We go on Ilyinka - the most important banking street of Kitay-gorod
  • 26

    Middle trading arcade

    Walk a little towards the Red Square, to begin its journey from its beginning. From Red Square street begins average trading rows on the right side of her. The territory, which is now located Middle Trading Rows, began to explore the XIV century. When the site of the main streets, off-white stone from the Kremlin and Red Square, was organized extensive bargaining. Gradually shops selling similar products, steel placed compact, forming a shopping arcade. Bargaining repeatedly burned and rebuilt again. At the end of the XVI century, issued a royal decree on the construction of the stone benches. Then we add three quarters of stalls: upper, middle and lower. After the fire of 1812. Upper and Middle Trading Rows rebuilt architect O. Bove. The work completed in 1816. At the end of the XIX century, buildings are dilapidated, and the architectural appearance of Red Square changed after the construction of the building of the Historical Museum. There was a question about the new restructuring. At first, in 1888-93, reconstructed upper rows (architect A. Pomerantsev), then it was the turn of the Middle. Construction entrusted to R. Klein. The building completed by 1893. ...More info

    We will see you all that remains of the complex of shopping malls Heated Trading rows on the left, after Vetoshny lane and GUM.
  • 27

    The warm shopping arcade

    Association "A.A.Porohovschikov and NP Azanchevsky" bought plots for the construction of shopping malls here in 1865. The project was entrusted to architect A. Nikitin, who erected here is a real town with its narrow alleys and squares, which are braided Church of Elijah the Prophet and rebuild it and include it in their maze. Several three-story buildings have a different shape and length, but the same facade of three floors of arched windows of varying heights. Visitors to the new shopping malls were pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the interior kept here thanks to central heating. Rows dubbed “Heated”. In addition to this, series were also light, that is covered, and that too was a novelty. The lease was higher than in the cold arcade, but for heat and light merchants were willing to pay. By labyrinth maze buildings added iron galleries and passages, which enmeshed building almost all over. ...More info

    Slightly forward and to the right we have Old Guest House
  • 28

    Old guest house (seating yard)

    Trading on Ilyinke existed since the ancient times. Ivan the Terrible had translated all merchants in Kitay-gorod, where ordered to be constructed for them Seating yard with wooden benches. In place of the court, or rather stone the arcade, which appeared to replace the wooden, and in 1791 took Architects SA Karin and IA Selehov build new Guest House. Project authorship Giacomo Quarenghi sent from Petersburg. Elegant classic-style Guest House occupied all the space between Ilyinka and Varvarka to include the old shopping arcade and the old building yard. He became a model for the living of households in all the commercial cities of Russia. Giant quadrangle, surrounded by an arcade, towered over the low buildings of Kitay-gorod. Individual shops gathered together, but isolated within the thick walls. Large warehouses, comfortable benches meets all the requirements of Moscow merchants. There conducted only wholesale. ...More info

    Go to the house on 8 Ilyinke
  • 29

    "Ambassador compound "

    Behind the Stock Exchange building that we have discussed already, is a building of the Volga-Kama Bank, built by architect Freidenberg, in a very lush, beautiful eclectic style. In the XVII century, on Ilyinka, on the plot between the church Demetrios in the Rybny Lane and Nikolskay Lane, was built Ambassadorial yard - a huge building designed for foreign ambassadors and their retinue. The name "Ambassadorial yard" maintained for this site before the 1917 revolution Courtyard stood here for over a century and described in detail in the memoirs of foreigners who visited Moscow in this period. At the end of the XVIII century, possession turned from merchants Pavlova and N. Kalinin. Merchants decide to build a large apartment building. The building project is developing an architect MF Cossacks. On the site of the old Ambassadorial Court appears roomy and commercial residential building, built in classical style - with a portico of Corinthian columns, reminiscent of the embassy courtyard arched vaults first-floor windows. The building owned by the two owners and therefore the capital was divided wall into two unequal parts. As such, the building stood until 1888, when Moscow Merchant Company acquired land for the construction of two buildings, which could be to rent different businesses. Redevelopment project was entrusted to architect BV Freudenberg. The building is rented Volga-Kama Commercial Bank, which existed here before 1917 ...More info

    Come to the house on 10 Ilyinka
  • 30

    Naydenov bank

    Moscow Commercial Bank of NA Naidenov acquired the land in 1882. NA Naydenov, entrepreneur, the chairman of the Moscow Exchange Committee for many years and co-owner of commercial and industrial company "A. Naidenova sons", social activist, an avid Moscow historian founded Moscow merchant bank. "Naidenov’s Albums" known to all admirers of Moscow. It was he who organized and financed a large-scale photographic images of all the churches, and unique buildings in the city. ...More info

    That is the end of Ilinka street and we went out from Kitay-gorod in the district of Ilyinskie gate.
Ирина Левина
Author
Back to list
Tags:

Interesting

Houses
Bykovsky’s house

Bykovsky’s house

19 /4/1 Milutinsky Lane

Built in memory of his beloved wife, the house was almost destroyed, then rebuilt and destroyed again now.

(no votes)
Houses
The Komendantskaya Tower

The Komendantskaya Tower

The Kremlin Wall

The tower's height as seen from the Alexandrovsky Gardens is 41,25 m.

(no votes)
Houses
Milutin’s homestead

Milutin’s homestead

14 Milutinsky lane

The rapidly disappearing under the onslaught of a new atmosphere, yet still breathing by "manufactory empire" of Milyutin and symbolism of Valery Bryusov who was born here.

(no votes)
Houses
Polish catholic church of st. Apostles Peter and Paul

Polish catholic church of st. Apostles Peter and Paul

18a Milutinsky lane

A massive secular building is a visibility: in front of us there is a Catholic cathedral of the mid-19th century, the work of Gilyardi,  which was changed by history beyond recognition ...

(no votes)
Houses
Mikhailov’s apartment building

Mikhailov’s apartment building

9 Dmitrovka Street

This house has seen the classic love triangle with a very tragic end.

3.44
Houses
Lansere’s house

Lansere’s house

20/2Milutinsky lane

Important firing point of the revolution in 1917 , the house entered the history as a home of creative Lancere family , whose descendants live in the house today. When muses sound - guns are silent!

5
Houses
The Vodovzvodnaya Tower

The Vodovzvodnaya Tower

The Kremlin Wall

Built in 1488 by Anton Fryazin it had a specific importance in the Kremlin's fortification system as it protected shallow waters near the Neglinnaya River's mouth.

3.3
Places
Slavic area

Slavic area

Included in the continuous chain of areas surrounding China Town.

(no votes)
Houses
V.P. Razumovsky’s house

V.P. Razumovsky’s house

Maroseyka street 2

At the end of the XVIII century, extensive ownership at the corner of Maroseyka and Lubyansky passage passed to V.P. Razumovskaya (Sheremetevoy). The Countess in 1779 rebuilt the palace here. It can be called "a monument of dislike".

(no votes)
Houses
Electrocinematograph and Showroom

Electrocinematograph and Showroom

Kamergersky lane, 3a /2

Neoclassical -style house was one of the last buildings that were built by Fedor Shekhtel.

(no votes)
Houses
Bolshaya Dmitrovka Street, 5/6, bld. 3

Bolshaya Dmitrovka Street, 5/6, bld. 3

Bolshaya Dmitrovka Street, 5/6, bld. 3

This house contains some of the remaining monastic cells of St. George’s Monastery that has long been destroyed.

3.3